Thursday, February 27, 2014

REVIEW: New Warriors #1



Writer: Christopher Yost
Art: Marcus To
Color Art: David Curiel
Review: Cody "Madman" Miller

 I’m not going to lie, for better or worse, Marvel had my four bucks a month ago when I first caught wind of the re-launch of the New Warriors.  Now granted I haven’t read a New Warriors book in about a decade, but I wasn’t going to let that stop me.

I had a brief love affair with the Warriors somewhere in the bleak landscape that was the 90’s.  It was just after the Maximum Cloneage debacle had ended and Scarlet Spider, the Ben Riley version, had joined the team.  I couldn’t help it. As horrible as the whole clone saga was, I just couldn’t look away.  To be honest, I was and still am a fan of the Scarlet Spider, be it Ben Riley, may he rest in peace (actually he turned to ash after being skewered by the Green Gobo’s glider), or the rougher less goodie goodie Kaine version that we have been blessed with at the present time.  I was really bummed when the recent Scarlet Spider run came to an end, but William was heart broken. Don’t let him fool you , Mr. Dubbeld and myself had to basically put WRDJ on suicide watch over that deal.  I like my Scarlet Spider comics, but that guy is just plain cuckoo for SS books.

The good news is the Marvel powers that be have dropped the SS right smack dab in the middle of this here new New Warriors book.  Major selling point.  It’ll be really interesting to see how his non-hero approach fits in with the team.
Other than that, Robbie Baldwin aka Speedball, is the only reason I bought this one.  I love me some Speedball with his colorful, panel saturating, kinetic balls.  That’s right, I said it.  I love my panels saturated with Robbie’s kinetic balls…
 
Madman Loves Him Some Kinetic Balls WRDJ
This first issue really isn’t all that exciting to be blatantly honest.  It’s really just setting up events to come.  Now being as it is the first issue, you may find that hard to believe, but I swear it’s true.  We’re given a page or two to set up each of the heroes that will soon make up our new team of warriors: The Nova, Justice, Hummingbird, Sun Girl, and Namora.  I know, I know, zero Night Thrasher…high five, I’ve never liked that jack ass.  Not even a little.

The actual writing was really tight, even taking into consideration that this first issue was both scattered and jumpy.  I found the art to be top notch as well.  I’m seriously looking forward to reading the hell out of this title and you should be too.  So join in, sign up, and saturate your eye holes with colorful kinetic balls, and the only relevant non relevant super team in the business.

No comments:

Post a Comment